As concerns about the environment and sustainability continue to rise, more and more people are looking for ways to make their homes “ecohouses”. One way to do this is by implementing changes that not only reduce your carbon footprint, but also create a more harmonious and self-sustaining home life. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Avoid Plastic and Polyester, you will read that I have a massive fettish for avoiding plastic at as many costs as possible, I believe that unfortunately its quite hard to engineer it our completely but if we continue to make efforts to recycle, reuse and vote for businesses or practices that do not involve plastic we will continue to contribute to a world without. I will write another more in-depth blog about off-gassing in the future and more info about PFAFs.
- Consider building or renovating your home to be an eco house. Eco houses are designed to be energy-efficient and use renewable energy sources, such as solar panels or geothermal systems. Not only can an eco house help reduce your carbon footprint, but it can also save you money on energy bills in the long run. Other aspects of building a sustainable home could be the quality of glass pains which Thermo regulates the house saving you money, or if you are building in the future, using hempcrete.
- Invest in eco-friendly bed linen and bed sheets. Did you know that traditional cotton sheets can have a significant environmental impact due to the pesticides and water used in their production? ( I feel like I have written this sentence a million times but I don’t want new subscribers missing out on the learning I am sorry for initiated ) Opting for hemp sheets can help reduce your home's carbon footprint and promote a more sustainable lifestyle.
- Set self-sustainability goals for your home. This could include things like growing your own herbs, fruits, and vegetables, composting food waste, or installing a rainwater collection system. Not only will these efforts help reduce your reliance on external resources, but they can also provide a sense of accomplishment and connection to the natural world. Nothing tastes better than homegrown organic vegetables and fruit, this also will save you money with the increased cost of living around the world. I also highly recommended researching local native plants, which require less water and still pack a beautiful punch.
- Make energy-efficient upgrades. Small changes, such as switching to LED light bulbs or insulating your home, can make a big difference in reducing your energy consumption. These upgrades can also save you money on your energy bills and contribute to a more comfortable living environment. I also recommend looking into your energy providers, making sure they invest in renewable energy and are not just coal-fired energy companies.
- Find your local Bee Keeper and or Farmers Market and if not Vegan, support your local apiarist, bees keep the planet alive, they keep you healthy and make sure all fruits, plants and tree flower. If the bees die we die.
By implementing some of these changes, you can not only reduce your environmental impact but also create a more sustainable and harmonious home life. Hemp bed linen could be argued is the easiest way to increase your sustainability in your home as you are sleeping and saving the planet at the same time :) Good Vibes and Great Sleeps :)
I would love to evolve this list over time with your support. Please leave comments of some of the tricks and tips you have implemented into your home to decrease the impact and create an eco house.